Care Home Fee advice

Care home fees can cost an average of: £28,500 per year for a residential care home, or £37,500 per year if nursing is required. You may fear having to sell your home to fund the cost of care or that the fees alone will drain your estate reducing the inheritance for the next generation.

We have extensive experience advising whether you are eligible for financial help from your local council or if the NHS should be paying the full cost of care and offer representation if you think your assets have been overvalued or you’re being asked to pay more than you should.

We have developed solutions to mitigate the cost of care such as our fixed fee GLP Property Protection Will - which will allow you to safeguard at least half the value of your property and our fixed fee GLP Family Protection Trust - where you transfer your main asset - usually the family home - into a trust.

Contact us   for a free initial consultation

If you need residential care whether at home or in a care home, the Local Authority will undertake a financial assessment to determine whether you can afford to pay the full fees, part of them or none at all.


Capital (savings and property)* England

Total Action
Over £23,250 You must pay full fees (self-funder)
Between £14,250 and £23,250 The local authority will assume that this generates an income and this will be taken into account for your care home fee contributions
Less than £14,250 This will be ignored and won’t be included in the assessment


Certain types of income, such as money from certain disability benefits and pensions, may not be counted in the assessment. All other income can be taken into account.

After reaching the lower thresholds, the Local Authority will take any Attendance Allowance and State Pension.

Is my home taken into account?

If you are considering care in your own home, your property will not be taken into account in the assessment.

If you are going into residential care the value of your property (less any outstanding mortgage) will normally be included in the assessment except if any of the following continue to live there:

Will I be forced to sell my home?

If there is nobody else living in the property, you may be able to get a deferred payment agreement from the Local Authority. Under this scheme, the Local Authority agrees to help you with the cost of care and will get these costs back when the property is eventually sold.

What if I prefer a more expensive care home than the local authority will pay for?

If the amount the Local Authority provides is less than the cost of your preferred care home, they will expect a top-up or third-party payment.

NHS continuing healthcare

NHS continuing healthcare is a package of care for people who are assessed as having significant ongoing healthcare needs. Eligible people are entitled to NHS funding for the full cost of care and accommodation.

If you have been denied NHS funding and are paying for your own care you may be able to reclaim care home fees through a legal challenge. Our team have successfully challenged and overturned decisions.

Latest Blog Posts

"We bought a flat for our son but if one of us needed care would we have to evict him and sell it?" - Ben Tyer in


The following is taken from Tyer, head of private client at, a...

Read more

Plan to stop savings being eaten up by care home bills


I am quoted in an article for discussing how to stop savings being eaten up by care home bills. I discuss when a property is taken into account for care fees and how, by owning...

Read more

Any Questions?
Get in touch with us today
with any enquiries
Contact us
Solicitors Regulation Authority, Dementia Friends, Lexcel Legal Practice Quality Mark - Law Society Accredited Solicitors Regulation Authority, Dementia Friends, Lexcel Legal Practice Quality Mark - Law Society Accredited